Friday, August 14, 2009

Blackberry Pie Supreme

Blackberry season is upon us. The girls and I had a spare hour and decided to spend it down the street picking. We came back with a gallon of berries. Or perhaps I should clarify--I came back with a gallon of berries. They came back with berry stained hands, arms, mouths and about a 1/2 cup each of berries. We had a blast!

Though blackberry bushes are full of thorns they are a lot more fun to pick than blueberries. Blueberries are small and hard to find on the bushes. I don't mind it so much but the kids get tired of all the work blueberry picking involves. But blackberries are easy to spot and they are prolific!

I used this first batch of berries to make two Blackberry pies. I adapted my grandpas recipe, Raspberry Pie Supreme, for the purpose. That reminds me, did I tell you about my raspberry predicament this year?

OK, I must go on a little tangent here and tell. We have a big black lab named Mo. Mo was acquired last March and promptly destroyed all aspects of the backyard. Needless to say he and I have a love/HATE relationship. I spent last summer crying over obliterated raspberry vines, fruit tree branches and the like and building the dog a kennel and training him to do as I command.

This summer I thought all was well. My fruit trees had recovered from their damage, I started a small garden plot (the main plot is in the front yard now, just in case), I had herbs growing and most importantly, 3 of my 15 raspberry bushes looked like they had recovered enough to produce a little bit of a crop for all my hard work and tears. Hurray!

Round about the last week of June those Raspberries were starting to look good, really good. I picked a couple of the early ones and they tasted just right! A few more days and I could start harvesting in earnest. I couldn't wait!

I was watching those bushes vigilantly everyday for signs of harvestability. July 4th rolled around and I knew I was going to be spending the 5th or 6th picking those bushes clean. But instead, on the 4th while we were out of town the dog got out and what do you think he did first? Yep--he dug up my raspberry bushes--NOT THE RASPBERRY BUSHES! I really hate that dog.


Since I didn't get Raspberry pie Supreme this year I had to alter the recipe for blackberries. I took one to my dad for his Pie of the Month Club and we shared the other with company to rave reviews. Hope you enjoy!

Blackberry Pie Supreme

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
prepare your favorite pie crust and lay it in the bottom of pie plate. Shape edges as desired.

In a bowl combine:
5 c. Freshly picked blackberries
3/4-1 c sugar
1/4c flour

Pour blackberry mixture into unbaked crust.

In a bowl combine:
1 c flour
3/4 c + 2 T sugar

Cut into mixture:
2 T honey
1/4 c butter

Add and mix well:
1/4 c plain yogurt (or sour cream)

Mixture should be crumbly. Spread/sprinkle over the top of the blackberries. cover with aluminum foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake, uncovered, another 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers