Friday, July 24, 2009

Blender Wheat Bread

For the past year, since I started serving homemade bread exclusively, I've been going through a LOT of flour. My KitchenAid is sucking it down like there's no tomorrow. I make 2 batches of dough a week (3 loaves per batch) and each batch requires 9-10 cups of flour equaling at least 18 cups of flour per week. And that doesn't even include my other flour requirements for muffins, pancakes, cookies, cakes, biscuits, etc.

A few months ago it dawned on me that I could reduce our flour consumption by using the wheat that I have in my food storage. Unfortunately I don't have a wheat grinder, but--AHA--I do have a blender! So I made up this recipe for Blender Wheat Bread by tweaking my white bread recipe just a bit.

I've been making this bread exclusively for the past few months and wow, we really like it! Hope you do too!

Blender Wheat Bread
by Dani Dooley

In a blender place:
1 1/2 c wheat berries
1 1/2 c water
Blend on highest setting for 3 minutes.

Add:
1/2 c water
And blend, on highest setting, for 2 minutes.

Add:
2/3 c water
1/3 c canola oil
2/3 c sourdough starter
And blend, on medium setting for 1 minute.

In your KitchenAid bowl measure:
7 c bread flour
4 t salt
1/4 c sugar
1 T yeast
all the wheat mixture from the blender

Using kneading attachment mix ingredients together on low speed(2) until dough pulls away from the sides and is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. (Depending on the humidity and the water content of your flour you may need to add up to another cup of flour). Leave dough in bowl and cover with plastic. Let rise to double, about 90 minutes.

When doubled punch down dough and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Divide into 3 equal parts. Roll dough and shape into loaves. Place shaped loaves into greased pans, spray tops and cover with plastic. Let rise to double, about 45 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.

When doubled remove plastic, slit top 1/4" deep with a sharp knife or razor blade and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes.

Remove from pans and cool on baking racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers