Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Soft and Squishy Treats

I am not a huge fan of Walmart. Not an opponent either but I generally avoid the store if I can help it. Tonight I couldn't help it. I needed shampoo for the kids and I, marshmallows for rice krispy treats for Kirkham's class, graham crackers for Cora's class, large quantities of small handled gift bags for an upcoming Relief Society event, and 3 t-shirts (blue, black and green) for each kid for Camp Cougar. I didn't have any coupons prepped, I didn't have time to search for any and I needed the stuff ASAP. Nights like this are when Walmart comes in real handy. I know I can find everything I want at one place and the price, though not rockbottom, is reasonable.

When I got home I started the rice krispy treats. I must tell you, I am a big fan of rice krispy treats. I really, really love good rice krispy treats especially the ones made by my mother-in-law, Peggy. Oh, they are so very yummy and soft and sticky--they are perfect. Occassionally I make them for myself but they always turn out crunchy and hard, yuck! She swears she uses the recipe on the back of the Kellogg's box but so do I and they don't turn out the same. So as I was setting out to make the treats I was pleasantly surprised to find a krispy treat recipe on the back of the Walmart marshmallow bag. I figured it couldn't be worse than the recipe on the Kellogg's box so I decided to try it.

It was the recipe--the treats taste just like Peggy's-- Soft, flavorful, just a little bit sticky--perfection! Walmart came in double handy today.

Here's the Good Value (Walmart brand) Marshmallow "Crispy Rice Bars" recipe:

1/4 c butter or margarine
5 1/2 c miniature marshmallows
1/2 t vanilla
5 1/2 c crisp rice cereal
  1. melt butter or margarine in a 3 qt saucepan over low heat.
  2. add marshmallows and cook, stirring constantly, until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth. remove from heat immediately
  3. stir in vanilla. add crisp rice cereal and stir to coat evenly.
  4. press warm mixture evenly into buttered 13"x9" pan. cool. cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers