Friday, May 01, 2009

White Bread recipe

Last week one of my e-friends stopped me at the Cub Scout Spaghetti Dinner to ask about my bread recipe. She wanted to know (this is in my words not hers) why, when honey is so expensive, and I am so cheap, why I use honey in my bread recipe.

Here's the answer I gave her: I used to have a big ol' bucket of honey that I got bulk and cheap, really cheap. I was using that honey for years and years and hadn't realized how much honey cost until I got to the bottom of the bucket and went to replace it. Honey is pricey!

I bought more honey but I stopped using so much in my bread. Actually I stopped using it in bread at all unless I'm making a specialty loaf that really needs the honey taste.

Now, instead of honey in my white bread I just use sugar. Plain ol' white granulated sugar, straight trade, 1/4 cup.

So here is what the new recipe looks like now. Ok, not really a new recipe, just a change to the old one.

White Sandwich Bread

In your KitchenAid mixer bowl combine:
9 cups bread flour
heaping Tablespoon salt
scant Tablespoon yeast
1/4 sugar

Add:
2 2/3 c. very warm water
1/3 c. Canola or vegetable oil

Install kneading attachment, turn mixer to speed 2 and let it do it's thing. Check after 3 minutes to see if it needs more flour--shouldn't be sticking too much to the sides of the bowl. Continue kneading for another 5-6 minutes.

Remove kneading attachment and cover bowl with plastic. Let rise until double in size (1-2 hours depending on how cheap you are/how cold your house is).

Punch down dough and let rest 5 minutes.

Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Shape into 3 equal loaves. Place into equally lightly greased loaf pans. Cover with plastic and let rise till double (about the same time as before).

When dough is nearly risen preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake loaves in 375 degree oven for 35 minutes. Remove from loaf pans and cool on racks at least 25 minutes before slicing into these luscious loaves. Or, let cool completely before cutting to use as sandwich bread.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe this is a silly question, but is bread flour different from regular flour?? Can we substitute wheat flour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celeste, see these links for the answers to your questions.
    http://www.ochef.com/97.htm
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/FlourTypes.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani Thank you for sharing this recipe, yet again. I have tried many different bread recipes, which turn out great for just eating, but this one is by far the best for actually sliced sandwich bread. It really holds it's own. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers