Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sprouts

These are Mung Beans. I put them in a canning jar on Friday morning, rinsed them with water and covered the jar with cheesecloth. I put the jar in a cupboard where I wouldn't forget about them and rinsed them again every night and every morning.

These are Mung Bean Sprouts. After 4 days of rinsing, draining and sitting in the cupboard my Beans have turned into yummy, crisp Bean Sprouts. I want them to grow just a bit more so I'll continue the rinse and drain business for another day or two then I'll use them to make Mongolian BBQ, yummy! If, for some reason, the sprouts are ready before I'm able to make the BBQ I'll put them in a loosely covered container in the refrig for up to 3 more days.

If you'd like to try some sprouting all you'll need is a canning jar, some cheesecloth, water for rinsing and seeds for sprouting. I purchased my 1 pound bag of Mung beans for $2.99 at Wholefoods Market in University Place. You may also be able to find them at Trader Joe's or Marlenes Market, call around first. One pound of seeds/beans will last a very, very long time. If you like sprouts of any kind it is well worth your time and seed money to do it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers