Monday, May 11, 2009

Mini Greenhouses

No, I'm not growing milk cartons in my garden. These are mini-greenhouses.

About 2 months ago I went over to my good friend Jen's home and listened to a very intriguing lecture on gardening and toured her husband's AMAZING garden. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot of stuff (including how-to for the cloches that I didn't give him proper credit for in my Spring Garden Update). He grows peas, lettuce, carrots, and more in the dead of winter using his cloches, cold frame and these little goodies--mini greenhouses. I was so impressed that he had 10" pea bushes at the beginning of March. I had to do it! These were his instructions:

Simply save a few clear (light opaque) plastic milk or juice cartons. Cut off the bottom of the carton and place it over your seeds. The plants will grow, nice and cozy, right inside the carton. On hot days be sure to take the caps off the top so the little seedlings don't die of heat stroke.

You can see that I have placed bricks around my mini greenhouses. I'm trying to start tomatoes in them and tomatoes like a LOT of heat. The bricks will help to maintain the warmth that tomatoes like, throughout the night. So far, however, my experiment is not working with tomato seeds. I should have done peas, or something that is a bit easier, on my first go-round. This week I'll likely go out and buy some little starts to put in the greenhouses, it's still too cold around here to put out those little guys without protection and it will make me feel better about my currently failing experiment.

Try it, I'd love to hear how your mini-greenhouses work for you.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dani! Brice said that even with the greenhouses it might have been just too cold for tomato starts. Cold weather plants like peas, beans, broccoli, and cauliflower will fare better. Your starts also might have been eaten by slugs, Brice has had that happen before. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really cool! If only my doggie didn't like milk cartons so much (sigh). With tomatoes, you probably should start the seeds inside, in a warm sunny room then transplant into your greenhouse once they're a few inches high.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers