Friday, April 24, 2009

Rotten Bananas (AKA Banana Bread)

When the kids were too young for school and Dave was working long hours I used to take the kids shopping with me. Every time I went to Costco I had to get 2 bags of bananas--1 bag for in the store to keep the kids quiet and one to take home. Yes, a whole bag of bananas gone in the 30 minutes I spent in the store. The checkers always laughed when I brought them an empty plastic banana bag to be rung up.

My kids love fruit, especially strawberries and bananas, never lasts long in our house. Before leaving for vacation with the hubby last week I stocked up on fruits and veggie's and snacks for the kids. When I got home from vacation on Monday and found 6 brown bananas on my counter I was shocked! Rarely do bananas have the opportunity to go bad in our house.
So what do you do with a bunch of rotten bananas?
Make Banana Bread
Make Banana Smoothies
Make chocolate covered frozen bananas
Peel and Freeze them to do any of the above later

This time around I made banana bread. If you can believe it, banana bread disappears even faster than bananas around here.

Mom's banana bread
I've used it for years. It is easy and yummy!
yield one loaf

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream 1/2 c shortening and 1 c sugar in Kitchen Aid mixer. Add 2 eggs and 3 peeled, ripe bananas. Combine well. Add 2 c. flour, 1 t baking soda, a pinch of salt, 1/4 c chopped walnuts (optional) add to mixture and stir to combine. Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan. Bake 60-70 minutes.

Bread is done when top does not sink when tapped on top. Remove from oven. Run a knife around edge to loosen from pan. Dump out of pan and cool on wire rack for at least 20 minutes before cutting. (It is really hard to resist but just walk away---WALK AWAY). Slice and serve plain or with a thin spread of butter.
___________________________________
If you liked this recipe you may also like these posts
Pie of the Month Club
Do the Puyallup! Super Moist Brownies

3 comments:

  1. My husband got me hooked on spreading cream cheese on instead of butter! I'm not sure which is healthier for you.... real butter, or cream cheese, but I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great banana bread recipe that I LOVE and my husband is picky and loves it too...
    2 C. Sugar
    3/4 C. Butter
    3 Eggs
    3 or 4 bananas
    1 1/2 C. White Flour & 1 1/2 C. Wheat Flour
    1 tsp. Vanilla
    1 tsp. Cinnamon
    3/4 tsp. Salt
    3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
    1/2 C. Butter milk or I usually use plain yogurt
    Bake 350 degrees for 45 min. or longer and enjoy!
    I will not use any other recipe again it's that good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom totally got some rotten bananas and I think this recipe will work for her! Thanks! :-P

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers