Wednesday, April 15, 2009

How to: Men's Ties

I have been making a wedding dress for Allison, my soon to be sister-in-law. My brother was having a hard time finding a tie that satisfactorily matched her antique white Dupioni silk dress and asked if I had enough leftover fabric to make him a tie.

I had the fabric but was worried about the time--I have only made a tie once before, it was years ago and I remember it taking me FOREVER to figure it out. But, hey, it's his wedding, I love him. I told him I'd give it a try.

It was a cinch and I thought you might want to try your hand at it too. Here's the links I used:

Forbes: The Finest Neckties

Tie Tips Videos
Burda: How to sew a tie
"Ben Folds Seven Ties" how-to make
e-how to sew a tie

I didn't use a pattern and I didn't purchase tie interfacing. Instead I recycled an old tie that had a stain on it and was worn out. I unpicked all the stitches and ironed it flat to use it as a pattern. Then I used the old interlining in the new tie.

Remember: the most important three things about making a tie are
  1. Cut the tie on the bias
  2. Never iron a tie (though you may carefully press it with a press cloth and proper heat)
  3. Make sure the tie is on the bias!
Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers