Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Homemade Frozen Cookie Dough--Frozen Assets

I'm no Martha but I know a good thing when I see it. Frozen cookie dough is a good thing! There's nothing better than fresh baked cookies in minutes. Nothing beats the taste, the warmth, the melting in your mouth of fresh baked. And nothing beats the immediate gratification of said cookies sans messy kitchen.

Yeah, you can buy it at the store or from your local elementary school fundraiser but really those prices are insane. $3.89 for 12 cookies and $15 for 36 cookies respectively. That's 33-43 cents per cookie--that's not a good thing!

Make your own frozen cookie dough with your own bulk ingredients for only 4-7 cents per cookie (7 cents if you've got choc chips or morsels of some kind added)--that is a good thing!

It is way so easy to do, the hardest part is choosing what kind of cookie to make. I've frozen many different types of doughs with great success including sugar cookie, snickerdoodles, choc chip, oatmeal, cowboy cookies, peanut butter cookies and double chocolate cookies. Whatever cookie you choose to make, use your regular recipe with no changes.

When it comes time to shape the dough, do so but don't cook it! Put as many of those dough balls as you can on a cookie sheet and stuff it into the freezer instead of the oven. Leave the sheet in there for a few hours, until the dough is frozen. When the balls are frozen remove them from the sheet, plop them into a ziploc bag and toss the bag back into the freezer. Viola, frozen dough ready to go!

Now when you really need a cookie fix you don't have to cook, and eat, a whole batch. Preheat the oven to 375, place as many frozen dough balls as you'd like on a baking sheet and bake for 8-12 minutes (depending on your cookie). Enjoy.

If you don't want to take the time to make all those dough balls there is still hope for you. Are you a stuffer? Stuff all that dough into a ziploc container (or gladware or Rubbermaid or tupperware--freezable, plastic container)and freeze. When you want to use it either pop it out onto a cutting board in a solid block and cut it with a sharp knife or, if you plan to use all the dough within a day or two, defrost the whole tub in the refrig.

Not a stuffer? How about a roller? Form your dough into rolls and wrap them tightly in wax paper. Freeze and then place rolls into a large ziploc bag. When you want to use the dough open one end of the roll, slice off as many cookies as you desire to bake and rewrap what is left.

Now you can enjoy the convenience of frozen cookie dough in your very own home for just pennies on the dollar. Are you sold?
____________________________________
If you liked this post you may also enjoy these ones:
Pie of the Month Club
Freeze
Frozen Potatoes

4 comments:

  1. Dani, You are amazing. What a fabulous idea. I will definately try this the next time that I need ( is there a time that we don't NEED cookies?)to make cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always do this, but not really to save money, but because if I bake all the cookies at once I eat all the cookies at once. If I freeze them in balls (I do the roll in balls place on tray and freeze and then put in Ziploc method) then I only take out the amount I need for dessert or unexpected company. I never thought of it as saving money, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani
    Those Cookies look so yummy? chocolate chip cookies are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! My sister has been doing it for years, but I haven't made the effort to do it myself... but, my kids would love it! Do you have a good sugar cookie recipe that would hold up in the freezer?
    I'm using the tollhouse recipe off the bag -- do you have a better one (the photo looks great!)?

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers