Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Good Times

"This time, like all times, is a very good one if we but know what to do with it."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Cambridge, 31 August 1837


What a busy morning I've had already. I nearly forgot to blog--that would be horrible!


Isn't it interesting to look back at your life and think about what you have done, where you have been and what you have felt. As a little girl I couldn't wait to "grow-up" so I could date and drive. As a teen I couldn't wait to "grow-up" so I could move out and do as I pleased. After I moved out I wanted to "grow-up", get married and finish college. After marriage I so very much wanted to "grow-up" and have a family.

It never stopped. Had kids, wanted them to grow, to talk, to walk, to go to school. Hubby got his first real job, I wanted a new car and a house. Got a house, wanted to fix it and change it and update it. I want it, I get it, I'm still not satisfied and want more.

Are you like that? I think most of us are. Always searching, always striving for better, more, the next thing.

Though I like to plan and look forward to new and exciting things sometimes they don't happen. Sometimes I get things I didn't look forward to and indeed did not want at all. Bad things like sickness, trials, accidents.

When I look back on my life at those things: my grandpas death, my brothers sickness and death, my mothers cancer, unemployment, homelessness, untrue friends, injuries and so much more; when I look back on these things I don't want more--I'm not looking forward to the next problem, disaster, but somehow those are the things I have learned the most from.

I didn't learn much from getting my drivers license but I learned a lot from getting in my first car accident. I really wanted my first son to learn to walk but when he did it the same week my mom was diagnosed it was easily overshadowed. I learned a lot in college but I learned a lot more when my husband was unemployed--how to stretch a buck, how to juggle kids and a job, how to grow a garden to feed my family--knowledge that was emotionally hard, at the time, to learn but so very valuable.

In fact, those difficult, unplanned, horrible things that have happened in my life have done more good in my life than anything I could have planned and looked forward to. Through those experiences I have gained wisdom, empathy, humility, faith, strength. I have learned that every experience whether it's planned for, wanted, longed for, or not, is good--if you know what to do with it.

2 comments:

  1. Have I told you lately that I think you're amazing and I love you? I miss you more than words can say. I hope you are doing as well as your public persona seems to indicate. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is how we all are--always looking ahead. Lately, I have really tried to enjoy/treasure today & not say the "when ___ happens.."

    I guess it has hit me since my oldest is a Jr. & just having a baby. I feel like I can't be old enough to have a child w/only another year of school left.

    I too have learned from the unexpected bumps of life.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers