Friday, April 17, 2009

Frozen Assests--Pre-made Pizza Crusts

I tried an experiment this week. We were having friends over for dinner on Friday and I was making the usual, pizza. I didn't know how many pizzas we all would eat and didn't want to be short on dough, forming the crusts or making a big mess with company here. I also didn't want to premake too many pizzas and have a bunch of leftovers.

So, I thought I would try making my own pre-made pizza crusts. Like Boboli but homemade without all the preservatives and other junk they put into those. It turned out great! We pulled out as many crusts as we needed, topped them with what was wanted and baked them until the toppings were all melty and golden brown. When some late arrivals showed up famished and other pizzas were already gone it was super easy to just grab another pre-made crust, top it and bake it. In 10 minutes they were stuffing their hungry mouths full.

Here's what I did to make my homemade pre-made pizza crusts:
Make your basic pizza dough in a double or triple batch. Let rise as directed in recipe.
Shape your dough and place on an olive oiled pizza pan as directed in recipe. Allow to rise if desired.

Bake at 400 degrees, as per recipe instructions, reducing time to 8 minutes. You are par baking the dough. It may be slightly browned in the thin parts of the crust but should be mostly white still.

Allow par-baked crust to cool completely. Stack crusts and place in an XL or XXL Ziploc bag and place, flat, in freezer.

When you are ready to make pizza. Take out a crust, top it as usual and bake at 375 degrees for 7-10 minutes until toppings are melty and golden brown. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I've frozen homemade pizza dough before, but I had to let it defrost over night. I think I will try this instead. It makes for a much easier and way quicker dinner. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a tip I think I could even pull off....I hope. I've been known to screw up lesser tasks, but precooked pizza dough doesn't sound too horribly screw-up-able. And we do love pizza here.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers