Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Fettuccine Alfredo

This is another cheap and easy family favorite. It is from the Joy of Cooking cookbook, 1997, page 310. I've made a few alterations to make it cheaper like substituting regular dry store bought noodles for fresh and using milk instead of cream.

Bring to a rolling boil in a large pot:
6 qts water and 2 T salt

Add and cook until tender but firm:
1 pound fettuccine noodles

Melt in a large skillet over medium heat:
8 T (1 stick) butter

Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet along with:
1 c milk
1 c Parmesan Cheese
Salt, pepper and garlic to taste

Toss over low heat until the pasta is well coated. Serve immediately.

We like to add sauteed chicken or shrimp or vegetables too. Just season them and cook them in the butter before adding the noodles and other ingredients. Toss and serve as directed.

YUMMY!
___________________________________________
If you liked this recipe you may also like my Homemade Mac and Cheese

3 comments:

  1. I way love homemade alfredo to scratch, and I think it's healthier too. I have another recipe you can try (and I don't know how much it costs to make - you are the expert on that!). You can go to this link: http://familyfavoriterecipes.blogspot.com/2009/01/chicken-alfredo.html and let me know what you think! Thanks for bringing these issues of box vs. scratch to our attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I have to share the recipe that Tom made for me for our first date. It was fettuccini Alfredo, and it's the reason I married him. Make a roux with 1/4 cup butter (NOT margarine), 1/4 cup flour and a few pressed garlic cloves to taste (I like lots). Cook briefly, then add about a quart of half and half (you can use milk, but there is a big difference in the end product). Cook out the flour taste, add salt and pepper and you're done. This recipe does not need or call for parmesan cheese, but you can add it for garnish if you'd like. We usually add grilled chicken to the sauce before pouring it on the noodles. I can't believe how easy or delicious it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani -- My daughter and I LOVE pasta, and we often just have butter with garlic salt (the kind with the parley in it). So, I was really happy to find your easy-to-make alredo recipe! How do you stop the cheese from clumping together in a big ball? I tried it with Kraft grated parmesan, and fresh hard parmesan and had the same problem both times. Tricks?

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers