For that very reason I do a lot of stockpiling. I have cupboards and closets and shelves and walls of the garage and under beds filled with stockpiled food. I have at least a months worth of anything I use on a regular basis stashed away so I will never run out.
However, all the stockpiling in the world can not keep a girl from running out of bread on occasion and that is just what I ran out of today. I was so mad at myself! And I discovered it at 6:45am as I was attempting, still half asleep, to pack lunches for the kids. Can there be a worse time for running out of bread? My head wasn't even clear yet. I hope I'm not the only one that this happens to .
So I went to my list of back-ups and rattled them off to the kids and let them choose what they'd like substituted for the usual PBJ. They chose Peanut Butter crackers.
Yes, I admit it, I sent them to school with a stack of Saltines smeared with peanut butter for their lunch. Hey, it's got protein! (I also packed drinks, fruit, veggies, and a goodie; it wasn't too lame a lunch).
This is my list of lunch sack back-ups for days I am out of bread:
- Crackers, cheese and pepperoni
- Crackers smeared with peanut butter
- Tortillas smeared with peanut butter and any of the following options-jam/jelly, pickle spears, apple spears, raisins, craisins and then rolled up.
- Tortillas smeared with cream cheese and any of the following options-jam/jelly, pickle spears, apple spears, raisins, craisins, peanut butter, olives, pepperoni, lunch meat and then rolled up.
- Bean Burritos (cheese optional)
- Chicken Noodle or Tomato soup in a thermos