Thursday, March 19, 2009

AaAach! I'm all out of bread!

Don't you hate it when you run out of something and you don't even know it until the very minute your reaching to pull it out for use and it is gone. It really chaps my hide. Really!

For that very reason I do a lot of stockpiling. I have cupboards and closets and shelves and walls of the garage and under beds filled with stockpiled food. I have at least a months worth of anything I use on a regular basis stashed away so I will never run out.

However, all the stockpiling in the world can not keep a girl from running out of bread on occasion and that is just what I ran out of today. I was so mad at myself! And I discovered it at 6:45am as I was attempting, still half asleep, to pack lunches for the kids. Can there be a worse time for running out of bread? My head wasn't even clear yet. I hope I'm not the only one that this happens to .

So I went to my list of back-ups and rattled them off to the kids and let them choose what they'd like substituted for the usual PBJ. They chose Peanut Butter crackers.

Yes, I admit it, I sent them to school with a stack of Saltines smeared with peanut butter for their lunch. Hey, it's got protein! (I also packed drinks, fruit, veggies, and a goodie; it wasn't too lame a lunch).

This is my list of lunch sack back-ups for days I am out of bread:
  1. Crackers, cheese and pepperoni
  2. Crackers smeared with peanut butter
  3. Tortillas smeared with peanut butter and any of the following options-jam/jelly, pickle spears, apple spears, raisins, craisins and then rolled up.
  4. Tortillas smeared with cream cheese and any of the following options-jam/jelly, pickle spears, apple spears, raisins, craisins, peanut butter, olives, pepperoni, lunch meat and then rolled up.
  5. Bean Burritos (cheese optional)
  6. Chicken Noodle or Tomato soup in a thermos
What do you do when you run out of bread? Do you and your kids have a favorite creative no-bread lunch solution?
_________________________________________________

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I figured out how to comment! Anyway, my kids love cubed apples and cheddar cheese, with a few toothpicks for stabbing them, or sometimes if I'm desperate, they get pop tarts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a wrap you might like:

    4 oz. softened cream cheese (I like fat free Philadephia brand, but only that brand fat free. Big difference there!)
    1/2 cup shredded carrot
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    1 tsp. honey (or more to taste)
    1 apple, cored and sliced (I dice it with my Onion dicer)
    4 tortillas

    Anyway, you mix this all together. The recipe says to place two apple slices across the center of each tortilla. I should try it that way, but usually I dice up the apple and mix it all together. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those ideas Lisa and JB! I'm gonna put those to use.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers