Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Just Desserts

First off, I must apologize for the look of the site. I accidentally erased the html code for my blog "skin" and my favorite blog design site, The Cutest Blog on the Block, is currently down with server problems. Hopefully next week my blog will be cute again.

Next, I thank you for putting up with my bad
Haikus. I have been limping ever since my big spill and, being in so much pain (I am exagerating a bit), couldn't say much more than that.

I suppose the lost blog skin and the hurt toe were my just desserts for
threatening Shari in last weeks post. Sorry Shari, but you'll have to do more than throw the universe at me to keep me from mastering your coupon tricks.


Well, here we are not even a month past Christmas and already I have had four birthdays to celebrate in my extended family. And then there are a few coming up that are very difficult to shop for--very difficult! Somehow they sneak up on me every year and blindside me yet again and I sit perplexed trying to figure out what I can do for them on the small amount of funds I have available; what a drag.

In our family the most difficult person to shop for (besides me, of course) is my dad. He's got everything, he buys what he needs and the things he wants are WAY out of my price range. He probably wouldn't care if I got him a gift or not but I still want to honor him--he's my dad!

So, two years ago my sister and I came up with a sweet solution that I think you will agree is the bomb: Pie of the Month Club. On his birthday, May 10th, we present him with a certificate and a pie and every month thereafter another pie is delivered, like clockwork, on (or near) the 10th of the month. Every month a different pie, homemade with love from one of his daughters. The gift that keeps on giving!

This month it was my turn to bake the pie. We don't have a certain type of pie that we have promised so we can just go to our refrig, freezer, or pantry and see what we've got plenty of to spare for a pie. I found a bag of rhubarb in my freezer from my last summer's harvest. I let it partially defrost and voila in no time I had the pie whipped together ready to deliver to dad.

Next time your out of ideas for gifts consider the gift of homebaked love and goodness. And it doesn't have to be just desserts.

Dani's Rhubarb pie recipe

Using a pastry blender, two knives, or your KITCHEN AID cut 1c. of Crisco shortening into 3c. flour. Sprinkle with 7 T. cold water and combine until mixture sticks together. Divide in half and shape into two rounded discs.

On a floured surface roll dough out to 12-13" circle. Carefully fold into fourths, pick up and transfer into large pie plate.

In a medium sized bowl mix 4cups fresh or partially thawed rhubarb (cut into 1" pieces) with 1-1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/3 c. flour (or 2T uncooked tapioca). Combine and let sit for 10 minutes while rolling out the second disc of pie dough.

Pour rhubarb mixture into pastry lined pie plate. Top filling with second pastry and cut slits in top crust. Turn edges of pastry under, flute edges and seal. Brush top crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar or cinnamon/sugar, if desired. Cover edge with foil and Bake in a 375 degree oven for 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20-30 minutes more or until the top is golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm with ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, guess you had better be more careful when messing around with "coupon Karma".

    Hope you caught the deal that gives you Quaker granola bars for a quarter.

    Because we have Yokes here-we also get instant oatmeal for free w/3.00 off Q.s-such a deal.

    Let me know if you need Fred Meyer q's for the .25 granola bar deal-I am happy to mail them over asap-now THAT'S how we do it here in happy "Q' land, my frugal lil' sistah :).

    That pie sounded so yummy-I need to take a break from all this madness and make our way over there for some of your awesome cooking!

    Hope your foot feels better soon-darn ol' grease!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had a Yokes, but alas we are without. Thanks for the heads up on the Freddys Q's? I'll get back to you on that. And come on over, we'd love to have you!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers