Sunday, January 25, 2009

Is this for real?

I have had a lot of questions lately about my blog. I love that you are reading this and are enjoying it. I love that you come back to read more. I love that you think that I am interesting (especially because I've always considered myself quite boring).

Every day I get a comment, an email or a phone call from you about my posts. Sometimes I get cornered by one of you at a friends house, my house, church and even at the grocery store. Often I am surprised by your interest and the number of questions you have for me.

One of the most common questions I get asked is, "Is that really real? Do you really do/save/spend/make all that you posted?"

Yes, I try very hard to always tell the truth. Sometimes I may exaggerate a bit but I'll try to tell you I am doing so as I did in my Just Desserts post 2 weeks ago (boy, that seems like months ago).

Now, that being said, earlier this week my good friend Jody was infuriated with me (exaggeration) for posting a menu plan on 1/7 and then not following through on my plan. She had cornered me (not exaggeration) at church. She had seen on the blog that I had planned to make Gyros and homemade pita bread the week of the 7th and she wanted my pita bread recipe--right there!

Well, I'm sorry but I just can't remember every last thing I write and was taken aback. I didn't remember posting that, and I certainly hadn't made the pita bread. I was confused. I was dazed. My "friend" was agitated and disturbed (exaggeration). "Do you lie on your blog?", she accused (not exaggeration).

So that night I went home and scoured my blog for a reference to pita bread and didn't find it--in retrospect I should have used the search box in the upper left corner. When I didn't find the reference I emailed her:

Jody,
You got me worried that I lied in my blog. I went back and reread my posts with menus and I think what you were referring to is chicken pillows not pitas. When I make them again I'll have you over for dinner.
If I am wrong and you did read pita on my post please let met know which one so I can get rid of my falsehood.
Dani

I thought
I was being nice and friendly and taking care of the problem, but OH NO . . . .the emails started flying. She retorted, she knew what chicken pillows were and that she had not mistaken them for pitas. She taunted me for being obsessive. She threatened to put a stop to the work on my front window!!!! (not exaggeration! but all done in loving gest, of course)


Oh great. Now what was I supposed to do? Here is my reply.

Jody,

It's all my fault. You were right, I was wrong. I said "gyros on homemade pitas". I didn't remember saying it but now I see that I did indeed say it.


Please, please, forgive me. I will try to be better. I will do everything in my power to commit to memory everything I write. But most of all, I promise to never, EVER, doubt you again.


Here. Here is my pita recipe. I admit it has been a couple of years since I have made it. I wanted to make it on the seventh when I wrote that now infamous post, but things got in the way. Things like violin lessons, doctor appointments and sewing/repairing things for other people
[like the pants I am fixing for her son]. I didn't get around to it and probably served mac and cheese instead. It was wrong, I admit, but it was necessary! I know this recipe won't right my terrible wrong. I can only hope that over time it will sweeten the bitterness you now feel towards me.

This is straight from the All New All Purpose Joy of Cooking cookbook, pg.753:


"In this recipe, you can substitute any amount of whole-wheat flour for white flour, according to your preference, although the dough may require additional water to be soft and pliable. You may also spray the top of the rolled-out pita rounds with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds before baking. Combine in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a heavy duty mixer: 3 c bread flour, 1 1/2 T sugar, 1 1/2 t salt, 4 t active dry yeast. Add: 2 T melted butter, 1 1/4 c room-temperature water. Mix by hand or on low speed for about 1 minute to blend all the ingredients. Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or with the dough hook on low to medium speed until the dough is smooth, soft, and elastic. Add flour or water as needed; the dough should be slightly tacky but not sticky. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and turn it over once to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, 1-1 1/2 hours.


"Punch the dough down, divide equally into 8 pieces, and roll the pieces into balls. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. If you do not have a pizza or baking stone, place a baking sheet upside down on an oven rack to serve as a hearth.


"On a very lightly floured surface, roll out each ball of dough into a thin round, about 8 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. Spray the stone or baking sheet with a mist of water, wait 30 seconds, then place as many dough rounds as will fit without touching directly onto the hearth. Bake until the dough puffs into a balloon, about 3 minutes, wait 30 seconds, then remove each bread to a rack to cool. If you leave the breads in the oven too long, they will not deflate to flat disks."

I hope you don't feel deflated knowing now that I am a real person and that sometimes I make plans that I can't follow through on. Everything I post on the blog is true. If I say I am planning on making the following menu items, I am truly planning to. But, please understand, sometimes life gets in the way and you just gotta serve mac and cheese or peanut butter and jelly.

I do promise: if I say I've done it, I have! (not exaggeration)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers